Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 11:41:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        redzim@doitnow.com (Andrew Zimmerman)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 upgrade

> Question:
>
> I was running FreeBSD release 2.2.1, and to upgrade to 2.2.2 I did the
> following:
>
> 1) installed CVSup (statically linked version 15.0)
>
> 2) ran CVSup with the following supfile:
>
> *default tag=RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE
> *default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> src-all
> cvs-crypto
>
> which downloaded all the new source files into /usr/src.
>
> 3) ran "make world" from /usr/src
>
> 4) after "make world" completed successfully (4 hrs), I recompiled my
> kernel (just for kicks; I didn't change any kernel options)

This was a very good idea. Some interfaces to the kernel might
change and the new userland programs and/or libraries might not
fit the old kernel. At least programs like ps(1) or top(1) will
not work with an old kernel.

> 5) rebooted the box.
>
> Now I read the 2.2.2 release notes, and it says /etc/sysconfig was
> replaced by /etc/rc.conf, but I still have an /etc/sysconfig and no
> /etc/rc.conf.  Also, I don't seem to have the new lchown() command.  Am
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is not a command but a system call, that means, you can use
it from your C programs but not from the command line. Do a man
lchown to find out more about it.

> I really upgraded to 2.2.2?  when I boot, it does say that it's running
> 2.2.2, but I wonder if it really is fully installed.

Your system is *not* fully upgraded by a ``make world''. You need
to update your /etc directory manually, as this directory is not
touched by ``make world''. Use the new files in /usr/src/etc as a
starting point to upgrading your /etc. You might want to consult
the man pages in section 5 of the online manual for the meaning
and format of the various configuration files in /etc. The manual
pages live in /usr/share/man/man5.

> Finally,  do I have to do this entire 5 hr process every time I want to
> upgrade to a new release of FreeBSD??

No, you can download the 2.2.2 boot.flp image from ftp.FreeBSD.org,
make a boot floppy, boot it and choose ``Upgrade'' from the
installation main menu. Depending on your Internet connection you
might want to download the whole release from ftp.freebsd.org first
and install from a local media instead of installing  via FTP from the
nearest FreeBSD mirror.

Wolfgang