Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:42:07 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@c0mplx.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA 6g 4-port non-RAID controller ?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Kurt Jaeger <lists@c0mplx.org> wrote:

> What kind of SATA 6g 4-port non-RAID controller is currently suggested
> for use in 8/9 setups with large RAM (64G) setups with ZFS ?

SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8i

PCIe controller with 2 multi-lane connectors (SFF-1087) supporting 8
SAS/SATA ports.  Supports two firmwares:
  IR mode enables RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 and a couple of other modes (no
RAID5+)
  IT mode enables straight HBA mode

Supported by the mps(4) driver in FreeBSD 9-CURRENT, and I believe has been
MFC'd into 8.2-STABLE.

Sure, it's 8-ports, but for under $300 CDN, you really can't do much better.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com