Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:25:21 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org

>Where do we send bug reports and comments on 2.2 now that 2.2 is
>released?  In the past -stable was 2.1.*, and -current was
>anything/everything else.
>
>Inquiring minds would like to know?  Should we state that 2.2 is now
>-stable material, since I suspect it's at least as stable as the 2.1.0
>release.

IMHO, we need to get away from the bifurcated view of systems.
2.2 certainly has not yet proven itself enough to be a replacement
for 2.1. And, at the same time, the head branch is a different
development.

If we MUST use the "current" tag to refer to any system, 2.2 is an
ideal candidate. I realize that there is the hysterical (historical?)
precedent that calls that "not yet ready for public view" 3.0 system
"current" although "future" might be more appropriate.

I suggest that the best solution is to drop the status designations and
instead use the release family as the designation. 2.1, 2.2, 3.0, etc.
That way it is clear which list is appropriate for a particular discussion.

A small change in the majordomo setup could make the change easy for the
users. The mailing list for "stable" and traffic to it could be rerouted
to a new 2.1 list. The "current" list could be duplicated into both
the 2.2 and 3.0 lists. As people learn to direct traffic to a more specific
list, the old lists could be phased out.

Until someone decides to change something in the mailing lists, I recommend
that things remain as they were. "stable" is 2.1. "current" is anything
more recent. However, "[2.2]" or [3.0]" in the subject would help sort
things.