Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:46:37 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading a port which depends on other ports

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 12:35:52PM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> What's the recommend procedure when upgrading a port?  Here's an example:
>
> # pkg_delete gtk-1.2.8
> pkg_delete: package `gtk-1.2.8' is required by these other packages
> and may not be deinstalled:
> imlib-1.9.8.1
> fnlib-0.5
> [other 33 ports snipped]
>
> Now how would you go about installing the latest gtk?

You _could_ force a package-delete with the '-f' option, but I dunno
what that would break in terms of applications that depend on it. If
you're lucky nothing; if the library has changed radically, all
dependant applications will stop working.

The safest way (which also happens to be the most time-consuming one)
is to delete the dependancies as well, and rebuild them once the new
library is in.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>