Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:44:36 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Eric Anholt <anholt@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr <portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2.0-4.2.1 patch problems

In message <20020927181019.GD56586@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway
writes:

> ).
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I checked explicitly for this (as I normally run 'xscreensaver'
> > > instead), and I can confirm that DPMS will no longer switch off the LCD
>
> > > in my HP (which has a Rage 128 Mobility M1 in it). You can enable it
> > > with 'xset' etc as usual, but it never blanks or turns off the screen.
> >
> > Okay, I would like to remove those r128 patches from 4.2.1 this weekend
> > then.  Would portmgr@ be okay with this?
>
> Should be fine.

This probably explains why my machine with an R128 card in it
misbehaves when I ctrl-alt-F1 to ttyv0. It blanks the screen and the
monitor complains it is receiving a signal with the wrong refresh rate,
making ttyv0-ttyv3 useless after the system has been up for a while. I
suspect that once DPMS kicks in, my ttyvXX problem appears (or should I
say ttyvXX disappear until the next reboot). Other than that XFree86
works fine.

I suppose that the patch removal should take place before 4.7 is
released. I think that this is a fairly significant problem for those
with R128 cards and releasing a CD with this bug may PO users with this
hardware.

--
Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766