Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:30:37 -0800
From:      Aditya <aditya@mighty.grot.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS hang with fxp and Network Appliance fileserver

I have 2 different motherboards, one with 2 fxp's on board the other with a
fxp in a slot mounting a Network Appliance (NetApp) fileserver over a
directly-connected, otherwise quiet 100Mbit, full-duplex switched ethernet.
*All* ethernet interfaces and switch ports are hard-wired to 100baseTX
full-duplex.

The clients are both running 4.5-STABLE cvsupped on Feb 27th. The NetApp is
running OnTAP 6.1.2R1 and works fine with a similar client with a de (Tulip)
SMC card over the same network (my test is building world).

In order to get the fxp connected clients to not hang after just a few NFS
requests, I have to mount it with the -r=1024 option as recommended in the
handbook under the "Problems integrating with other systems" in the NFS
section. That text refers to "Certain Ethernet adapters for ISA PC systems"
but seems to be applicable for more modern, PCI cards too...

If this is the "correct" method to deal with the fxp cards, then should the
text be amended or should the fxp driver be "fixed"?

Thanks,
Adi