Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:00:01 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Alessandro de Manzano <ale@unixmania.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AGP module ?

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:30:49PM +0200, Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
> I'm here again trying to finally using XFree-4.0.3 with my Matrox G450
> :)
> (on a 4.3RC system)
>
> Besides "make install"ing its port, I heard something related to an
> "AGP module" to kload before starting X... but I've not found any such
> named module reference in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> I found an "agp.ko" in /modules, but I'm not sure how/when/if I had to
> load it.
> (and "man agp" gives nothing)
>
> Does it is needed in order to run XFree 4.0.3 with matrox DRI HAL ?
>
> Could someone, please, tell me the correct sequence of things to do ?
> :-)

You need to do this:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4				(1)
# make WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER=yes install
# kldload agp
# kldload mga

(1) or use /usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server

And then make sure you have the following lines in XF86Config, in
your "Module" section:

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

I *think* that's all - look for the lines in /var/log/XFree86.0.log that
say something like this:

(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) MGA(0): direct rendering enabled

You can also use /usr/X11R6/bin/glxinfo to get more information
on GL capabilities supported by the display.

If you always want to load the kernel modules on bootup, you can
add them to /boot/loader.conf(5).

HTH,

--Stijn

--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."