Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:11:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        cmott@srv.net (Charles Mott)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Parable

> A physicist is sleeping in his bedroom.  He sees a fire burning in one
> corner of the room and a bucket of water in another corner.  He puts out
> the fire and goes back to sleep.
>
> The mathemetician wakes up and says, "Ah, a solution!"  He then goes
> back to sleep without doing anything.
>
> The FreeBSD team wakes up and says, "Let's audit the entire house for
> fires, termite damage, worn carpet, and scratches in the walls -- starting
> first in the kitchen."  They then go back to sleep.

A group of FreeBSD users wake up and say "There seems to be a fire
burning, let's ask -questions what to do about it."  Moments later,
Doug White replies "Calm down.  Carefully shutdown your FreeBSD machines
and move them to a safe location.  Now go get a bucket of water and
throw the water onto the fire."  The house is demolished, but the FreeBSD
machines are saved.

Several FreeBSD -stable users wake up and say "A fire!  This must have
been caused by the incompetence of the core team.  I demand that each
of you leave whatever you are doing and come over here to put out *my*
fire immediately!  And, as homage to our user base, you must first burn
Nate alive in the fire, while preventing any additional damage from the
flames emanating from his body."

The rest of the FreeBSD user base wonders what is going on, and why
FreeBSD 2.2 (or 3.0-current, or whatever) doesn't cause fires.