Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 13:09:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        bef126@psu.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse

In a previous message, Brian Freeman said:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.1.  I am currently trying to
> install XFree86.  The problem I have is that I can't configure my
> mouse.  It's plugged into the PS/2 port on the back of my computer.
> It is a fairly new Logitech (about 1 year old).  It worked fine under
> win/95 where it was configured as a Microsoft mouse. I tried every
> available protocol on the options menu but none of them seemed to work.
> Do you have any suggestions on how I can configure my mouse or what
> I did wrong when I installed FreeBSD.

Hmm. When you run xf86config, choose ps/2 mouse, and don't emulate
the 3rd button (since you have one). The device should be /dev/mouse

Here's what my config looks like:

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

 Section "Pointer"
     Protocol    "PS/2"
     Device      "/dev/mouse"

     # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
     # the following line.

     #    Protocol   "Xqueue"

     # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

     #    BaudRate   9600
     #    SampleRate 150

     # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
     # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

     #    Emulate3Buttons
     #    Emulate3Timeout    50

     # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

     #    ChordMiddle

EndSection

Hope that helps.

As an aside. It's configured wrong, or at least not optimally in
Windows95. Use the software that came with it or download the latest
from www.logitech.com. With it you can set the 3rd button to do useful
things, like double-click or the like. Then change the driver to be
logitech's.

> If this is not the place to ask this kind of question, could you please
> tell me who to forward this to?

This is the place.

--
If you know what Sampo is; write it on a piece of paper to MST 3000 and
then throw the paper away.