Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 11:20:32 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
To:        "Ryugen C. Fisher" <Ryugen@palaver.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache and rc.local

On Tue, 09 May 2000 at 13:09:39 -0500, Ryugen C. Fisher wrote:
> Please list this at totally confused question #21,214,643,456  (I
> took a number from the little machine by the counter)
>
> I have a functional 3.2 and a functional 3.3 running.. both servers
> run Apache and both start Apache with the same rc.local file that is
> shown in the Lehey book and other places..
>
> I have just recently installed at 3.4 server, and when I went to
> install  the required code in  the rc.local file... was dumbfounded to
> discover that no such file exists in the /etc directory...

Hmm, IIRC, rc.local hasn't existed since 3.0, unless you created it.

> 1) Is this the way it is "supposed to be" or do I need to copy a
> rc.local file from one of the other two servers

Aye.  See above.

> 2) If the answer to #1 is "YES" then how do you run Apache
> .. inetd?  My (limited) understanding is that inetd was NOT the
> preferred way to run Apache..

With a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  If you're using the port, one
will be created for you.  If not, create this as apache.sh, put it in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, and make it executable..

#!/bin/sh
[ -x /usr/local/sbin/apachectl ] && /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start > /dev/null && echo -n ' apache'

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -
- phone: 1.925.691.2800 x.3814 - fax: 1.925.674.0821 - jim@FreeBSD.org -