Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:09:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: unexpected machine check on 5.0 alpha

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> No, that's a 660. (system machine check).
> A 670 is much more likely to be bad ram, bad cache, bad CPU, etc.
> Its not always overheating.

It's looking like at least my troubles are not from FreeBSD, but from the
hardware, probably the SCSI card.

I tried "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da3" and got a pair of 670 machine
checks, shown below.  After I pressed the reset button, the SRM said
"I/O-detected PCI bus data parity error on IOD0" just after looking at the
Symbios SCSI card to which the hard drives are attached (I had gotten this
before, when I had tried replacing the Ethernet card).  Then there was a
660 machine check, then the SRM
crashed--<URL:http://people.freebsd.org/~trevor/alpha/4100-20030116-cu2.log>.

-- begin log --
(noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset detected.
sym1: unable to abort current chip operation.

unexpected machine check:

    mces    = 0x1
    vector  = 0x670
    param   = 0xfffffc0000004e10
    pc      = 0xfffffc0000642970
    ra      = 0xfffffc0000406f70
    curproc = 0xfffffc001f169200
        pid = 23, comm = intr: sym1

panic: machine check
cpuid = 1;
boot() called on cpu#1

syncing disks, buffers remaining... panic: bwrite: buffer is not busy???
cpuid = 1;
boot() called on cpu#1
Uptime: 1h42m51s
(noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset detected.
sym1: unable to abort current chip operation.

unexpected machine check:

    mces    = 0x1
    vector  = 0x670
    param   = 0xfffffc0000004e10
    pc      = 0xfffffc0000642970
    ra      = 0xfffffc0000406f70
    curproc = 0xfffffc001f169200
        pid = 23, comm = intr: sym1

panic: machine check
cpuid = 1;
boot() called on cpu#1
Uptime: 1h42m53s
panic: bremfree: removing a buffer not on a queue
cpuid = 1;
boot() called on cpu#1
Uptime: 1h43m16s
sym1: suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
sym1: dp1,d15-8,dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x7ffffff,
expecting 0x100
-- end log --

--
Trevor Johnson