Date:      Wed,  8 Sep 1999 17:28:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: data corruption when using aic7890

Andrew Heybey writes:

 >   gallatin> What!?? You mean if I just move the cable to the 20Mhz
 >   gallatin> connector, all my problems will just go away???  Even
 >   gallatin> though its just a different port on the same PCI
 >   gallatin> controller? (at least on my P2B-LS)
 >
 > Well, I don't know if *your* problems will go away (I'm not 100% sure
 > that your problem is the same as my problem).  However, my problem
 > went away went I moved the cable to the plain "Ultra" (20MHz)
 > connector rather than the "Ultra2" (40MHz) connector.
 >
 > Peak performance is lower (at least with multiple disks on the bus).
 >
 > Sorry, I thought that I had mentioned this someplace.  Maybe I should
 > submit a follow-up to the PR to mention this work-around.

You mentioned it to me, in your original follow up.  But I took it to
mean you'd purchased a working UltraWide controller & plugged it into
a PCI slot.

I've now plugged my drives into the UltraWide connector on the
motherboard.  This won't cause a slowdown for me, as they are only
20Mhz UltraWide drives anyway.

I'm running the test again.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks!

Drew