Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:52:08 -0400
From:      Ben Kelly <bkelly@vadev.org>
To:        Bartosz Stec <admin@kkip.pl>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vm.kmem_size settings doesn't affect loader?

On Sep 26, 2008, at 4:43 AM, Bartosz Stec wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>
>> These are the tuning settings I use:
>>
>> vm.kmem_size="1536M"
>> vm.kmem_size_max="1536M"
>> vfs.zfs.arc_min="16M"
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max="64M"
>>
> Yesterday I've added 512 MB memory to box (sum 1,5GB), and set
> vm.kmem_size and vm.kmem_size to "1024M". With pieces of 1024MB,
> 512MB, 256MB, 256MB available and 3 memory slots it is hard to have
> 2GB RAM ;)
> Until now it survived world cleaning/building/installing/bonnie++
> benchmarkink/fs scrubing and general usage. Memory usage seems
> stable. If unfortunately kmem exhaustion will happen again I will
> experiment with ARC settings.
> IMHO you've explained gently a lot of zfs tuning concerns in this
> thread and they should be added to tuning guide - espacially
> explanation of ARC and prefetch settings. Thanks again!

Did you increase KVA_PAGES in your kernel config as well?

The default of 256 only allows 1GB of kernel memory total.  Setting
KVA_PAGES to 384 would probably be good for a kmem_size of 1GB.  This
would give leave you with 512MB of space for other things in the
kernel.  In your kernel config:

    options    KVA_PAGES=384

Sorry if you already knew this.  I know its in the zfs tuning guide.
I just hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread yet and wanted to make
sure it wasn't missed.

Hope that helps.

- Ben