Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 07:22:25 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie port help

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:28:06PM -0500, leegold wrote:
> I tried doing a make in the dir of the port I wanted
> to install ( midnight commander ) and the machine
> tried to ftp to a site to get the tar ball but could not make a connection(?)
>
> 1. All the documentation on installing applications
> via ports assumes I have a ready connection (?)

Yes, you need an Internet connection. However, there are several things which
can make a port fail even if you have an Internet connection.

1) You're behind a firewall. Try "make FTP_PASSIVE=YES install"

If that doesn't work, see if you can got to
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles and download the file manually.
Put the downloaded file in /usr/ports/distfiles and run make again.

2) The ports tree is out of date and no longer lists a valid URL for the files,
or the version number is different than what is generally being distributed.
In this case, you should update your ports tree and try again.

> How and what do I have to do to let the make command
> fetch the application I want? I keep getting "error 1".
>
> Thanks
>
> ps. How can I tell how big a download will be?

If you ftp to the site first, you can view the compressed file's size
via ftp.

--devin