Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:18:46 -0000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <Smc659@aol.com>
Cc:        <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: it just goes on and on.......

I need to clarify an apparent misunderstanding here .... our colleague
lalala@globalserve.net
seems to believe I started this thread, when in fact I was merely responding
to the guy who
posted the question in the first place. Be that as it may ..... I can
sympathize to some extent
with the guy trying to figure how to do things in FreeBSD, since for anyone
from a Win9x
background the move to any *nix tends to be traumatic. My personal
experience with FreeBSD
has not been excessively bad, but then I messed around with linuxes for
months getting nowhere
fast. Whilst the BSD docs are infinitely better than the linux equivalents
they still represent a
culture shock to those of us with experience in other operating systems ....
a fact that is all to
often overlooked by some unix experts. One major difference I have noticed
with the FreeBSD
mailing lists is that the majority of (but not all ) contributors are much
more openminded as to the
relative advantages of other operating systems (eg the usability issue) than
certain of their more
fanatic linux brethren who tend to view Linus Torvalds as some sort of major
deity and Bill Gates
as the Antichrist.