Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:48:38 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two questions on Thinkpad T41

On 8 Jul 2004 at 20:30, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:12:03AM +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> > 1) The CDRW is apparently a problem. Using 5.2.1 I can boot with it but
> > if I compile the kernel with atapicam it will crash on boot, similar to
> > -current where I cannot boot at all with the drive inserted. I assume
> > there is no way around this at the moment?
>
> For what it's worth, I managed to test the other day with two separate T41
> machines (one with help from a local FreeBSD user) on -CURRENT, and the
> machine I was testing on did *not* demonstrate the CD-RW/DVD related crash.

Bruce: I previously reported that my ThinkPad T41 was not affected by
this problem.  I was using 5.2.1-RELEASE.  Yesterday I upgraded to
5.2-CURRENT as of 2004.07.06.  The laptop now panics on startup.  See
http://www.langille.org/ibm-thinkpad-t41-2004.07.06.patched.trace.jpg

FWIW, the above system has been patched with the code provided by
green in
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=921840+0+current/freebsd-
current (I think that is the correct URL, but cannot verify it as the
website is down).

I'm working on getting a serial console going, but I'm finding my
options limited.  There is no serial port on this laptop.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/