Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:35:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>
To:        Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   /etc/passwd - how to protect from spammers

We run a multiuser system and as /etc/passwd is world readable it is easy
for a spammer to get access to our user list.  We limit access via a
restricted shell but do offer pine - easy to attach /etc/passwd.
Restricting pine so as to prohibit attachments would be a severe
restriction.

A client/user mentioned that in HP Unix there is a
chroot wrapper of some kind which can block this access.  Could not find
anything in the FreeBSD archives.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
jeff