Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:19:39 +0200
From:      Iulian M <eti@erata.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flash with Firefox 2

On Sunday 18 March 2007, Iulian M wrote:

> > > I am running 6.2-stable as well, and have been trying to get
> > > linux-flashplugin7 to work with firefox 2.0, but to no avail,
> > > unfortunately.
> > >
> > > I would love to hear about other successful attempts at getting this
> > > working.
> >
> > Hello, it works on 6.2 for me. List of all installed packages is
> > attached. Update ports and portupgrade -arR. Cheers -vlado
>
> Hi,
>
> are you sure your ports tree is updated? I can see you have gtk-2.10.7
> installed witch according to
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20/Makefile
> existed only between Sat Jan 6 01:11:03 2007 UTC and Wed Jan 17 09:13:07
> 2007 UTC
>
> i'll try to downgrade gtk step by step ( now it's 2.10.11 ) to see if flash
> starts working with older versions.
>
> If you could send me a package with gtk-2.10.7 i'll be glad to try it out.

I was wrong on assuming that the problem comes from the gtk update. I've
managed to get the plugin to work with native firefox and opera.

There are two things to try if the plugin is crashing:

1. edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and disable the Composite extension and set the
ColorDepth to 24

OR

2. edit /usr/local/bin/firefox and add export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 in the
beginning of the file

The process is described here:
http://www.erata.net/weblog/freebsd/2007/03/18/updateflash7-with-native-freebsd-browsers/

Hope it helps.