Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 10:32:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter compilation

> On Mon, 7 Apr 1997 proff@suburbia.net wrote:
> > The problem with this is that packages in src/sys/contrib/* may have
> > non-BSD copyrights -- but because it is under sys, you don't have any
> > choice in the matter.
>
> I thought about this but it didn't seem to be a problem since there is a
> mix of GNU and BSD copyrights in the src/contrib tree already.  Having a
> similar mix in the src/sys/contrib tree would be OK.
>
> --
> Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com

This gives the user no choice in the matter however. If they get src/src
they get src/sys/contrib. To my mind the philosophy of the two hierarchies
are different enough to seperate them at the root. On one hand we have
"the BSD kernel", on the other hand "contributed software, which may
not have BSD copyright, containing some kernel code, but perhaps only
a small percentage of compared to userland code".

Cheers,
Julian.

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
proff@suburbia.net    |and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery