Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:13:29 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, ken@kdm.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCIOCGETCONF/PCIOCREAD requires write permission?

In message <200012080707.AAA12102@freeway.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
: Has the core group ever weighed in on this?  Does the BSDi merger
: change any of the FreeBSD focus with regard to other hardware
: architectures?

Core, per se, hasn't.  There's a very strong history in this project
that if a port is supported, breaking it is unacceptible.

FreeBSD has moved beyond intel only, and we need to deal with that,
even if there are things we can get away with on i386 and can't on
other platforms.

Warner