Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:53:32 +0900
From:      Takefumi SAYO <stake@po.shiojiri.ne.jp>
To:        thomas.graichen@innominate.de
Cc:        Takefumi SAYO <stake@po.shiojiri.ne.jp>, tech@ioiscsi.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Initio INIC-941 PCI SCSI driver for FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE

From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:46:23 -0600

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 08:49:48 +0200, Thomas Graichen wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Takefumi SAYO wrote:
> > > and
> > >
> > > (cd0:iha0:0:6:0): got CAM status 0xb
> > > (cd0:iha0:0:6:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
> > > (cd0:iha0:0:6:0): lost device
> > > (cd0:iha0:0:6:0): removing device entry
> > >
> > > if no media presents in the removable device.
> > >
> > > Could you fix this if you have time?  Because I don't know
> > > anything about SCSI and CAM. :-(
> > >
> > i don't know much more either :-) ... but i think you may ask this
> > on the scsi list (i'll cc this mail to it too) - maybe someone
> > there might help
>
> Status 0xb is a command timeout.  It means the drive didn't respond to the
> READ CAPACITY command within 20 seconds.

When I used 'cdrecord' on FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE with IOI's driver,
cdrecord said ... timeout or something like that, and I could not
burn CD-R.  But on 2.2.8-RELEASE, there was no problem, I think.

> What kind of CDROM drive are you using?

a SCSI-2 CD-R drive producted by Matsushita.
kernel says the followings when booting.

cd0 at iha0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
cd0: <MATSHITA CD-R   CW-7502 4.10> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15)
cd0: cd present [328831 x 2048 byte records]

(As I mentioned in the report to Graichen, 'got CAM status 0xb' is
not displayed if media is present in drive.)

> Does it do the same thing with
> other SCSI cards?

Sorry... I don't have any other SCSI card.  I bought IOI's card, because
I saw penguin ready logo on it and it was not so expensive. :-)
And is is not fully daemon ready now ... X-<

> Even though the cd(4) driver doesn't attach, the pass(4) driver should
> attach if you have it configured.  Type 'camcontrol devlist' to see which
> pass(4) driver instance is attached to the drive, then you can do things
> like:  (if the drive is attached as 'pass5')
>
> camcontrol inquiry pass5
> camcontrol tur pass5 -v

I tried.

bash-2.04# camcontrol devlist
<MATSHITA CD-R   CW-7502 4.10>     at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass0)
bash-2.04# camcontrol tur pass0 -v
Unit is not ready
CAM status is 0x280

(insert some CD-ROM into drive)

bash-2.04# camcontrol tur pass0 -v
Unit is ready

> > maybe some more words about the initio driver: i currently have
> > absolutely no time to further work on this - so it would be
> > really fine if anyone might find the time to get this
> > going ... i may test it - i have both conteollers
> > here - one a100 and one 9100u ...
>
> Maybe someone will volunteer to work on it.

I read 'newbusified' diffs that Graichen sent to me, but I could not
understand how to newbusify Initio's driver...
If some experts work on it, I'll be happy.

--
Takefumi SAYO