Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:43:10 +0000
From:      AMAKAWA Shuhei <sa264@cam.ac.uk>
To:        <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "Willie Viljoen" <will@unfoldings.net>, <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error in ipfw manpage for stateful rules?

At Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:18:40 -0500,
JoeB wrote:

> Well I think you make my point for me very well by pointing out that
> net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=0  and the NATD option -d  are necessary
> to get it to function correctly.

No.
It is possible to do stateful ipfw+natd without
net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=0 and natd -d, although it's not so
obvious.
Some hint is in the message which I posted several days ago.
The fact that you don't know how doesn't mean it's impossible.

> And I must again point out that no
> where
> are these additional keep-state requirements documented.

Yes, but that's a separate issue.

> This is the part that is missing from the documentation when talking
> about
> IPFW / NATD with keep-state rules.
> Where in the IPFW documentation is this stated, and shouldn't there
> be
> an example of this method included in FBSD?

Absolutely.  It will be nicer if there are more tutorial stuff that goes
over such subtleties.

> And I must still point out that my statement is still  true.
> That keep-state rules do not function correctly in IPFW/NATD.

not true