Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:00:28 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.NET>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Alex G. Bulushev" <bag@sinbin.demos.su>, Daniel Rock <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current NFS problem

  I use NFS.  I'd really like to see it fixed.

Gee. I see history about to repeat itself. Exit stateless filesystems left
and enter 'the Newcastle connection' stage right. Then we can argue about
who invented the acronym DFS and why RFS failed.

Greg: we'd *all* like to see NFS 'fixed' but thats like asking for a cure
      for cancer.

How about scoping which problems in NFS you can agree are sufficiently
intractable to limit scope to less unfixable ones?

I'd like a working rpc.lockd ... on every machine I use at work, vendor and
freeware included. I dream on.

Sheesh. Its only been 20 years of research so far :-)

Roll on CODA.

-George
--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072