Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:27:58 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        rsavage@nandomedia.com
Cc:        dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS in FreeBSD

In the last episode (Aug 07), rsavage@nandomedia.com said:
> I beg to differ!  I just setup and tested two FreeBSD 4.3 machines.
> One as a master NIS server, and the other as a NIS client.  When I
> changed my user's password on the client, I saw the "clear-text"
> password while I was sniffing the box.  Did I do something
> diffrently?  Or not complete?

You are correct.  During password changes, the password is sent in
plaintext.  The solution to this is to change your passwords only on
the NIS master.  During regular logins, only the encrypted password is
sent, so the rest of dannyman's post applies with respect to DES vs
MD5, etc.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com