Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:10:31 +0100
From:      David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ps: warning: /var/run/dev.db: No such file or directory

I recently rebooted a server that had been running for many months. I
haven't touched the kernel or userland programs since it went into
production.

The server was rebooted with 'shutdown -h now', powered down, and then
later restarted.

I've since noticed that cron didn't restart, which is odd, but fixable,
but more importantly, when I run ps, it spits out 'ps: warning:
/var/run/dev.db: No such file or directory' (although, as far as I can
tell, the output is perfectly reasonable).

I'm wondering if one is a symptom of the other. In any event,
/var/run/dev.db is most certainly not there.

I guess I could reboot the server tonight, but I'm not sure that that
will fix it, as I don't understand the cause. I've searched the archives
a bit, and the best thread I could find dated from 1997, and suggested
that it could be due to an unclean shutdown, which is definitely not the
case here.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, where stable is defined as being what it
was around June 2003.

I'd be grateful for any pointers you might have.

Thanks,
David
--
Commercial OS breeds commerce, whereas free OS breeds freedom,
the only thing more dangerous and confusing than commerce.