Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:28:54 -0500
From:      Rob <bitabyss@gmail.com>
To:        Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Blocking undesirable domains using BIND

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Just a question, and I'm not trying to cast doubt on your plan; I'm
> curious why using BIND for this purpose instead of a proxy, which is
> a more typical application as I understand it?

I was trying to do something similar.  I didn't research too hard, but figured the only way to use Bind would be to make my server authoritative for all those domains, which meant a huge config file and potential overhead, as well as
possibly breaking access to desirable servers in the domains.

So hosts seemed easier, but apparently Bind never looks at hosts.  I did find that Squid (which I already had installed and in limited use) has its own DNS resolver, and it does look at hosts first before going to the nameserver.

Then I found this site:  http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html and put their list in hosts, and now client PCs get a squid error in place of ad junk.  Works ok for me ;)

  -Rob