Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:33:58 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Abel Mayal <mayala@info.bt.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drive

In the last episode (Jun 27), Abel Mayal said:
> If I do "tar cvf /dev/nrsa0 /usr" it writes all the data from /usr to
> the tape. BUT, how can I access to the tape to see what is inside? I
> tried "mount /dev/nrsa0 /mnt" but it says "Block device required". Is
> it possible to have access like in a floppy? Or how can I check what
> is inside the tape?

To list the contents of a tar file, "tar tvf /dev/rsa0".  To extract:
"tar xvf /dev/rsa0".

/dev/nrsa0 is the "no-rewind" device.  Useful if you are putting more
than one tarfile on a tape.  /dev/rsa0 is the "rewind" device.  Use it
if you're only got one file on the tape.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com