Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:54:26 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Joe Wamsley <netrattler@erols.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install problem on FreeBSD v4.6

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 08:35:46PM -0400, Joe Wamsley wrote:

> I have a quick question on FreeBSD 4.6. I have used previous
> versions of there operating system on my computer versions 4.2 and
> 4.4. But for some reason the installation on version 4.6 keeps
> crashing on me. Has anyone else run into this problem. I had
> purchased there power pak version boxed set and thought maybe
> something was wrong with the installation cd at first so I tried it
> on another computer and the install went fine. The point it crashes
> at is when it gets ready to copy the main OS files to hard drive, it
> keeps giving me a can't write to device error.

4.6 contained some new ATA device drive code, which was unfortunately
buggy.  You're seeing classic symptoms of the problem --- if you type
'Alt-F2' at the point where it goes wrong, you should see 'READ_BIG'
error messages.

There's a work around given in
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/errata.html, which should let you
get the system installed.  However, considering the flood of security
advisories that came out just after 4.6-RELEASE, and the ATA problems,
you would be well advised to upgrade to 4-STABLE or 4.6.2-RELEASE.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK