Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:24:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dos and Don'ts

On Tuesday,  6 October 1998 at 11:41:01 -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 07:18:16PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Tuesday,  6 October 1998 at  9:30:44 +0000, Duncan Barclay wrote:
>>> Contentious ;-)
>>> DONT use sendmail, use exim.
>>
>> Indeed.  Better:
>>
>>   Use sendmail, the One True MTA.

(for the benefit of -questions, this comes from a discussion in -doc
about some "does" and "dont's" to be distributed with the next CD).

> I am a Sendmail user with about a year or so experience with Unix.  I
> keep hearing that Sendmail is bad and the Exim, Qmail, and indeed
> Vmailer, when ever it is released, are superior.
>
> Is there is quick and dirty explanation for why this is so?  This is
> rather confusing.  I am under the impression that the lion's share of
> Internet mail is routed by Sendmail.  Outside of it running as root what
> are the problems with it?

Don't take my statement above out of context: it was supposed to
suggest a Holy War.

There are, of course, problems with every version of mail.  I haven't
followed the discussions enough to be able to offer an opinion.  As
you say, nearly every installation (including mine) uses sendmail, and
it works well.  Others may have some advantages, but I don't see that
as sufficient reason to say "DON'T use sendmail".

Greg