Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:03:24 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@iris>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape slowness in current

> I've recently upgraded to -current, and for the first few days everything
> worked great. After a recent cvsup (in which I noticed a lot of changes to
> the malloc routines - which may or may not be related), netscape is now
> taking AGES to start up - it just sits there for 5 minutes or more
> chewing up CPU but doing nothing.
>
> Sometimes it eventually starts, after which it seems to work fine - but
> other times I can just leave it seemingly indefintelty and it never
> starts, or starts but doesnt actually load any webpages, just sits there
> looking stupid.
>
> This is with both the 3.0 linux port, as well as both versions (fbsd and
> linux) of 4.03. Both worked reasonably (apart from regular crashes which
> I suspect are still due to java implementation) under 2.2-stable and for
> the first couple of days I was running current.
>
> Any ideas?

If you're using ppp, I've just un-spammed the code.  It was screwed
up by me on the sixth of this month.  The spammed version runs at
about 1/4 speed and spends a lot of time "hiccuping" when traffic is
high.

Good versions are now in 2.2, -current and on

  http://www.freebsd.org/~brian

Sorry folks.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>