Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:10:52 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ITK Support

"Martin Husemann" writes:
>I wrote:
>> >No, no real problems if (a) the interface to the card is
>> documented, (b) the
>> >interface is reasonable and (c) the card behaves like the docs promise.
>
>Gary answered:
>> the real problem is that a lot of active cards require a CAPI interface,
>> which we do not have (yet).
>
>This is an example of violating (b) above - IMHO.

you have a valid point there...

>The idea goes back to the DOS days: a CAPI was required as user-land
>interface, and implementing it in a TSR costed precious memory. So they've
>put all of the CAPI stuff onto the card (where memory could be added as
>needed).

I thought the idea behind CAPI was to avoid having to write a special
interface for each card. If the card talks CAPI and the user's
application too, then everything's jake. The user can theoretically
plug in any (CAPI talking) card and his application will still work.

Don't forget, the big market is still M$ based machines, so the
manufacturers naturally target it. Every WinDoze user has a CAPI installed,
doesn't he ? ;-)

It would make my life a lot easier if the vermaledeite AVM B1 did not
require a CAPI interface, though !

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de