Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:41:19 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Eric Parusel <lists@globalrelay.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can 4.5 take 6gb ram

>>    No, FreeBSD will only use 4GB of RAM maximum. Doing more than
>that
>> requires major changes to the VM system.
>
>Will this be addressed in CURRENT any time sort of soon(this year)?
>I myself can forsee using more than 4GB in a year or two..

   Possibly, but no one is currently working on it, so it's a bit hard
to say for sure. I have an interest in it for both of my companies
(TeraSolutions - bigger servers for our customers, and Download Technologies -
to lower our infrustructure costs so that we can continue to be the low price/
premium file hosting service leader), so there's a chance that I may do this
work myself at some point in the medium-term.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
President, Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.