Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:18:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: fetch hangs, part 2

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> I've been having the same (or a similar problem).  Fetching the distfile
> for a port will hang.  I poked some more at this and found that all the
> sites fetch is hanging on successfully negotiate the TCP connection then
> go dead without closing the connection.  My workaround has been to edit
> the Makefile and remove the offending site from MASTER_SITES or manually
> fetch from ftp.freebsd.org.

Could you try disabling TCP SACK and see if things "get better"?  It's one
of the things that has changed in the TCP code recently.  This could well
be a user space fetch issue, but it would be worth trying it to see, if
only to rule it out.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research