Date:      Sat, 04 Jun 2005 14:28:42 -0700
From:      John Pettitt <jpp@cloudview.com>
To:        Remo.Lacho@verizon.net
Cc:        Hans.F.Nordhaug@hiMolde.no, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [lists] RAID-1 as back-up

Remo Lacho wrote:

>>Up to a point - beware of geom_mirror with USB and FireWire disks - it's
>>temperamental at best and with my FireWire drives simple won't work
>>reliably (panic during boot if a rebuild is needed and unrecoverable
>>errors during rebuilds).  I've just re-done the mirror set on my box
>>with gvinum and so far it's looking good - it boots ok and rebuild is a
>>lot faster.
>>
>>This on a 5-STABLE box with a FW800 card a 2x LaCie 500GB bigger disk
>>extreme external FW drives.
>>
>>If this works for my next trick I'll try RAID5 with 4x250gb usb drives.

>I feel your pain.  :)
>
>Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you use USB or Firewire drives on a
>production server?

It's a home server and the storage is near-line photo archives (I'm a
professional photographer) that's also backed up on REV cartridges.  I
don't need the performance of a multi thousand dollar server box just
the storage capacity to host up to a terabyte of images.  If I really
needed the performace I'd build somthing with SCSI or SATA drives but I
just need capacity.

Currently the box has:

IDE 80 GB main disk (root usr var tmp swap )
1x250GB FW 400 - scratch storage
2x300GB FW 400 in a gstripe set - storage for BackupPC which covers the
desktop boxes.
2x500GB FW 800 (on a separate FW800 controller) - this is going to be
the photo archive in a gvinum mirror set.
Then I have 4xUSB250GB drives that are not really doing anyting right
now and I may build into a RAID5 for future expansion.

John