Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 06:25:33 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@freebsdmall.com
Subject:   Re: Something doesn't jive

On 10 May 99, at 22:31, Jim Mock wrote:

> However.. I've noticed alot of people don't bother to vote (if that's what
> you'd call it) so I doubt the results would be very accurate. Not to
> mention the number of visitors compared to the actual amount of users.
> Personally I don't think the poll will produce any usable results.
> Comments?

Polls wherein the people have an option as to whether or not to
participate are notoriously skewed and produce inaccurate results.
Presumably this applies to polls on webpages but not to telephone polls.
The former is optional (Oh!, there's a poll, I'll do it).  The latter
involves a slight degree of duress (Do you have time for this poll?) but,
from what I've been told, produces much more accurate results.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/