Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:33:51 -0500
From:      Mark Woodson <mwoodson@bacxs.com>
To:        Matt H <matt@proweb.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing camera-ready mysql report

At 06:08 PM 1/28/2002 +0000, Matt H wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:35:29 -0800 (PST)
>"Andrew Gould" <andrewgould@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>The macintosh has been the traditional computer in the printing industry
>and MS pushing true-type in favour of the more useful postscript fonts
>used to drive me to distraction until the PC market caught up enough to be
>able to take MS postscript documents and see the proper output!

Since Quark XPress and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator were ported to
Windows (A long, long time ago) it's been possible to do high quality work
on the PC (and compatible PostScript output to boot).  Though admittedly a
bit more difficult than on the Mac.  I was one of the few at the time.  The
PC/Mac flamewars on the graphics lists could be spectacular and humurous.

>Today's 600dpi laser printers do an adequate job if you can't afford to
>have bromides made and are not overly concerned with magazine quality
>documents. (Paper suffers from "dot-creep" so the dpi rating of the final
>on paper output tends not to be 600dpi which can affect half-tones [the
>dotty picture version of greyscale/colour separated images])

It has more to do with the formulae than with dot gain.  It's hard to get
anything finer than a 35lpi halftone out of a 600dpi printer.  You can make
it a bit higher, but there's just not enough resolution to pull it off and
you get rather a lot of banding and discernable stepping.  I used to know
the formulae but can't remember it anymore.  Modern imagesetters are mostly
2400dpi anymore.

The term camera-ready originally referred only to something physical that
the printer would shoot to make plates (either directly using positive or
negative film depending on the type of plates and plate making process
being used, though usually negative right-reading emulsion down in the US
anyway with offset, or a postive opaque image that the printer would make
film from to make the plates, sometimes when going on the cheap the plates
would be the artwork) but has come to mean anything that is "ready for
press" including PDF, PostScript and EPS files (PostScript being the
de-facto standard for the publishing/printing industries).

I used to be a graphic designer, can you tell?

-Mark