Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 14:26:35 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Matt Simerson <matt@michweb.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting the Ports collection to BSDI.

On Sat, Aug 29, 1998 at 11:22:49AM -0400, Matt Simerson wrote:

> This is what I was thinking but after reading a little but on the FreeBSD
> ports page it talked about having config files that recognized different
> OS's and would compile things appropriately for each one. I was wondering
> what it would take to get BSDI full citizenship with OpenBSD, NetBSD, and
> the rest of the BSD family within this ports collection.

There is no BSD family ports collection.  :-(

Both NetBSD and OpenBSD have made changes to their own bsd.port.mk.
For starters, the people we list as NetBSD_MAINTAINER and
OpenBSD_MAINTAINER are no longer the maintainers.  OpenBSD in
particular has some significant changes that do merit consideration
from us (to merge these changes back in), although I personally feel a
little unsure about some of them.

If you want to start a BSD family ports collection, there will be no
argument from me.  :-)

> I'm hoping it's just a matter of defining a few OS variables and then
> testing each port to see if it's happy with BSDI. If not, then submit the
> necessary changes to the "port GOD" and get them added. Is this something

Go through the individual MAINTAINER and then the PR system.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.