Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:29:41 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file system help needed

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 18:30 , S?ren Klintrup moved his mouse,
rebooted for the change to take effect, and then said:

> Arie J. Gerszt wrote:
> > Hi Everybody
> >
> > I have a huge problem as you see ...

> > Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ad0s1a     99183    96309    -5060   106%    /
> > /dev/ad0s1e   5458605  2866595  2155322    57%    /usr
> > /dev/ad0s1g  17876344  1085421 15360816     7%    /usr/www
> > /dev/ad0s1f   4465853   212592  3895993     5%    /var
> > procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

> > This server is a production server and I can't add any dns
> > zonefiles or passwords, because they sit in /etc which is
> > full, evidently.

> > What can I do to solve that rather quickly? The disk ad0 has free
> > space:

> yep - the problem is that you have a lot of zonefiles in
> /etc/namedb ..

How have you determined that?  /etc is part of / which is full but
just because he can't edit this dns files does not mean they are
the culprit.

Based on dns useage I've seen on my DNS he'd have to have 10K+
domains to make a significant impact - unless he's dumped a lot of
files.

I suspect it's something else.  If he's running a default install
perhaps something like his mail program has left a huge temporary
mailbox in /tmp.   I always make my TMPDIR to be /usr/tmp to avoid
such thints.

> here is several solutions to this problem, I've listed a few here :

> 1) move the files from /etc/namedb to /usr/local/namedb or
> something like that and make a symbolic link

And given the df output he has most of the space in a slice called
/usr/www - though /usr certainly has more than enough, as there is
more free space in /usr than totally used in /

> 2) make a new slice for /etc/namedb with enough room for your
> files - and copy the old files to this slice

That's pretty drastics unless you are running 10's of thousands of
entries in you DNS - at least that's how I view it.

> 3) change the configuration for named so it points to another
> configfile and change the config to point at a new location
> with enough space

> 4) Install a new version of bind ( http://www.isc.org ) to
> another location and configure it correctly.

That's quite a bit of overkill.  He just needs to pass the
the options to named for the config file to use, copy the current
named.conf to that location, and specify the working directory
there.

Leave the reinstall to systems that require it - eg MS thingys.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com