Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@server.cs.Virginia.EDU>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Neil Clark <nbc@cs.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Catastrophic Failure!

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I have a Diamond Stealth DRAM 64.
>
> Hmmm.  That's a newer one.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if there
> are lurking bogons there still.

	Yes, there are bogons still there.  My GXe was recently fried by
lightning via an internal modem, so I borrowed a Diamond Stealth (24?).
I consistently had problems switching out of graphics mode.  The machine
would lock up hard or reboot 75% of the time either when exiting X or
switching to a vtty.

> > hung the X server on a SparcStation here recently as well, but didn't crash
> > the machine; maybe it was just a fatal combination of flaky netscape + mixed
> > binaries + administrative incompetence on my part? I guess we'll never know ;
>
> Can you reproduce it?

	Yes, but I finally got my replacement GXe.  This problem was
common enough that I began to explicitly synch the fs before exiting X.

	BTW, this was with XF86 3.12 XS3 server and 2.2-current.

cheers,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| For an application and information
       Programming Freedom               ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/