Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 00:54:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>, drussell@internode.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56K vs X2?

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Leonard Chua wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, spork wrote:
> > Howdy,
> Howdy.
> > One thing to remember amongst all this M$ reminiscent hype is that ALL of
> > the 56K modems require a direct *digital* connection to the telco on one
> > end (the server) to function.  It's in the fine print, but all the
> > standards require this.  So if you're an ISP with a term server and
> > stand-alone modems, be prepared to throw it all away in favor of this new,
> > unproven technology.  Has anyone yet to see a demo of this during a sales
> > pitch??
> Now that is a very good point indeed. I think that throws the balance in
> favour of using T1 lines. :)
> Also, I'm probably wrong, but I recall hearing somewhere that there's
> 56K/X2 server and 56K/X2 client modems. Meaning that even the modem
> vendor says a particular modem is upgradeable to 56K/X2, it may not
> neccessarily work as a dialin 56K/X2 modem. Anyone care to dispute that.
> (I apologise in advance if I'm wrong. I'm pretty dead tired right now :)

you are correct here... the ONLY way they are able to do 56k recieve on
the dialin side is that the only analog part is from the dialer ->
telco... the rest from telco to you is digital...  basicly there isn't
signal loss when you go from digital to analog...  there is only loss when
you go from analog to digital...

ttyl...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)