Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 19:00:45 +1000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP support

> > Ironically, I found most of my record of this thread in a folder with
> > your name on it.  8)
>
> you are right, it's just that it did not end up in any actual
> implementation. Also you promised to send me some documentation on
> Doug R's work and probably both forgot, and the discussion died :)

Oops.  I still have the relevant bits, if the reference below is not
enough.

[... strategy ...]
> > This was generally accepted (I think Stefan had a few claraifications
> > on it) as being the "most effective" way of going about it.
>
> yes unfortunately it requires changes in both the isa and PCI
> probe/attach sequence which are not under my jurisdiction, that's why I
> followed a different but compatible approach.

The point I am making is that if you take this on, the parties
responsible for these fields have already agreed on the course of
action, and will be supporting you all the way.  You won't have to
worry about jurisdiction at all.

> for their opinion being different from mine :) Thanks for being so
> polite, but it's really not necessary, I have the highest esteem
> of all of you guys.

That's as maybe, but we don't want you to miss the fact that the
respect is mutual.

mike