Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:50:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marius <marius@mail.communityconnect.com>
To:        Steffen Vorrix <steffen@vorrix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major upgrade

I've done the upgrade from 3.4 to 4.x stable a few times.  I
genrally go from 3.4->3.5-Stable and then 3.5-Stable ->
4.x-stable.

Basically, if you follow the instructions in UPDATING, it should go well.
If you take UPDATING seriously and actually reboot into single user when
it tells you to, it will likely be painless.  There are ways to get around
going into single user, but if you have the luxury of a console, don't
sweat it.

-Marius

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Steffen Vorrix wrote:

> I have been tracking this list for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and I have lea=
rned alot more about FreeBSD then I thought I might.  I have successfully u=
pgrade my two home FreeBSD machines from 4.2 REL to the current stable vers=
ion, and everything went just fine.  However, I now need to upgrade 2 produ=
ction machines for my employer, and these have to go as painlessly as possi=
ble.  The problem is that these machines are 3.4 REL.  I have looked throug=
h the mail over the past weeks, and I have found people mention that 3.4 to=
 4 can have some gotcha's associated with it, but I haven't seen anything s=
pecifically mentioned.  Are there things that I need to watch out for?  The=
 reference that I am referring to was a thread regarding remotely updating =
servers.  While this was frowned upon by almost everyone in the list, one p=
erson specifically mentioned that remote updating would be a problem from a=
 3.x to a 4.x.  I don't plan to do any remote updating, but I want to be su=
re there aren't other things I need to watch out for.