Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 22:21:09 +0200
From:      Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>
To:        Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for alternative CTRL-ATL-DEL behaviour

Le 2002-09-06, Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein écrivait :

> since all pre-ATX machines can't power down themselves it would be nice
> to have init make three beeps or something when it's ready for power off.
> this would be very helpful at machines which don't have a monitor
> attached. right now i have to ctrl-alt-del this machine then wait 3-5
> minutes and hope everything shut down so i can finally flip the switch.

More generally it would be nice to have the ability to configure what
happens when the system is shut down. For example, if you have an UPS
and shut down as a result of a power failure, it would be very
convenient to be able to send a signal on a serial port to turn
off the inverter. I have a (non-tested) LKM here that attaches as a
shutdown event handler, and can perform such serial port actions.

Thomas.

--
    Thomas.Quinot@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG