Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 17:34:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marconi ForeRunner HE 155 and HE622

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Jin Guojun[ITG] wrote:

> Richard Hodges wrote:

> > I don't know of anyone doing so, but Fore has the docs available
> > and there is apparently a Linux driver for them.  I would be
> > surprised to see anyone interested in the HE622 card, since it
> > is VERY, VERY, VERY expensive :-(

> I just upload FreeBSD driver to the Marconi Source Community
> as FreeBSD-HE.tgz_20010515200853 at
> http://secure.marconi.com/protected/SOURCE_PART/community.cgi

That's a good thing.  Thanks.

> The driver has been tested at AAl level a year ago.
> CLIP is in, but ILMI has not been tested. Its ILMId is built
> into SNMP code with large and not readable format.

It sounds like this is not a FreeBSD HARP driver...  HARP handles CLIP in
the kernel layer, and ILMId should not care what driver you are using.
So if your FreeBSD driver works, HARP should work. That is assuming that
your driver is for HARP, of course.

> Since GigE, specially the copper GigE out there, I do not think
> ATM will survive. So, give up.  [snip]

Thanks for the advice.  I did not know that GigE has quality of
service support.  It is good to hear that it will also handle
comitted bit rate virtual circuits across multiple switches, too.
Of course, the GigE point-to-multipoint capability will come
in handy as well.  I am also glad to hear that all the ADSL vendors
have just redesigned all their equipment for GigE.

But thanks for contributing the driver.  I am sure someone will
find it helpful.

All the best,

-Richard