Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:40:26 GMT
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@niksun.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/67745: boot fails on compaq presario r3000z

The following reply was made to PR amd64/67745; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim@niksun.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, newntrbr@ucla.edu
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:31:04 -0400

 On Saturday 07 August 2004 11:30 am, Scott Long wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR amd64/67745; it has been noted
 > by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
 > To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, newntrbr@ucla.edu
 > Subject: Re: amd64/67745: boot fails on compaq presario r3000z
 > Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 09:27:18 -0600
 >
 >  I'd like to get this fixed for 5.3 but I also don't feel
 > comfortable with completely turning off the keyboard and aux port
 > tests.  Can someone experiment to see if both test_kbd_port() and
 > test_aux_port() need to be disabled?

 I think test_kbd_port() patch is necessary.  However, like I said
 before, you can add a keyboard controller driver option to minimize
 any impact on other platforms, e. g., hint.atkbdc.0.flags, in
 dev/kbd/atkbdc.c.  Or simply, you can extend the meaning of the
 existing keyboard driver option, e. g., KB_CONF_NO_RESET
 (hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x2"), or add another option (KB_CONF_NO_TEST?)
 not to call test_kbd_port() from dev/atkbd.c.  After that, all we
 have to do is documentation. ;-)

 test_aux_port() patch is not absoulutely necessary AFAIK.  If you
 don't turn it off, aux port doesn't work.  I have gut feeling that
 the following commit fixed the problem, though.

 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/isa/psm.c.diff?r1=1.23.2.8&r2=1.23.2.9

 I cannot verify it any more because I don't have the laptop any
 more. :-(

 > Also, both functions are called from several places; it would be
 > useful to find out if they can actually be called from certain
 > places but not others.

 Unfortunately the keyboard controller driver is a big mess. :-(  Any
 way, this function is only used in two files, i. e., dev/kbd/atkbd.c
 and isa/psm.c.  isa/psm.c uses it to recover from error, i. e.,
 recover_from_error().  However, this is only for aux port.  In fact,
 this is really ugly hack.  Comment from the recover_from_error()
 speaks for itself:

 /*
  * NOTE: somehow diagnostic and keyboard port test commands bring the
  * keyboard back.
  */

 This is very wrong and aux port driver must not touch keyboard port at
 all, IMHO.  However, this problem may not exist any more because of
 the above commit, i. e., no error -> no recovery. ;-)

 Thanks,

 Jung-uk Kim