Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:23:03 +0000
From:      "Mark Luxton" <markluxton@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding the Kernel

Hi Lowell,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using FreeBSD 5.1 and I created the config file to use with CVSup from
the Handbook.  Below is my config file:

*default tag=.
*default host=cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress

src-all

Many thanks

Mark

----Original Message Follows----
"Mark Luxton" <markluxton@hotmail.com> writes:

 > I'm new to FreeBSD and this is my first attempt at building a kernel.
 >
 > I would like to know if I am going about it the right way (and some
 > help on an error message that appears).
 >
 > Below are the steps that I am currently taking.  I am following the
 > steps in the Handbook (Cutting Edge & Building and Installing a custom
 > Kernel).
 >
 >     Run CVSup and updated my source tree
 >     Run make buildworld
 >     Run make installworld
 >     Copy GENERIC to MYKERNEL
 >     Edit MYKERNEL
 >     Run make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
 >     Run make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

That's not the correct order -- you need to build and install the
kernel in between buildworld and installworld.  I don't think that's
problem in this case, though.

 > Everything works fine upto make buildkernel.  If I run this, even on
 > an uneditted copy of GENERIC, I get an error saying:
 >
 >     make: don't know how to make uart_bus_pccard.c. Stop
 >     *** Error code 2 ***

Hmm.  That file doesn't exist on my (4.x, i.e., -STABLE) system.  What
version are you running, and what version did you cvsup?