Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:05:16 -0500
From:      Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil
To:        hamellr@aracnet.com, guest@cnu.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: frree bsd

Allow me to add to Rick's comment... yes!

I installed 4.0 Stable with no Unix experience.  I was a Windoze / DOS user
and more recently IBM's OS/2 Warp ver 4.  I also have experience with
(Intel) computer hardware (building and upgrading machines).
Rick is right about the steep learning curve in the beginning.  I suggest
the following:

1) Have all system hardware parameters in front of you before you install
(port addresses, interrupts, IRQs, etc.)

2) Read the installation chapter in the FreeBSD Handbook (hardcopy or
online)

3) GO FOR IT !!!   Install the newest Stable version. ["Release" in FreeBSD
is similar to "beta."  The upgrades come a lot faster (too fast for me right
now).  Of course I want stability above all else in my OS.]

3) READ AND HEED THE FREEBSD HANDBOOK as you learn your new system.	 [My
process, in order to reduce frustration, is to skip the stuff that's way
over my head.  Now I'm finding myself going back (after 3 months) and
understanding more of the book.]

4) Become very familiar with the FreeBSD.org web site and read the FAQ
section.

5) Seek out a mentor in your local area who is willing to work with you.
Most of the people I've met want to promote BSD.  As long as you do your
part, they'll do theirs.  Just remember, FreeBSD gurus should never be used
to replace the handbook or FAQ section of the web site.  Enough said on that
point I think. This is probably your first experience with Open Source
Software Development.  With that said, you're about to be a part of a team
of people who have the similar if not the same goals in mind.

6) Be a team player and have fun.

Good luck

Mark
mhumm@ispchannel.com