Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:53:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X Crashing

Hi, folks:

I have a P133 with a Diamond Multimedia Stealth64 2001 video card with 1
MB of RAM.

I just did a reinstall of FreeBSD 2.2.5 on Friday. I haven't been able to
get X to work. I have spent inordinate time in /etc/XF86Config and decided
to start anew. The reinstall worked. I got X working Friday night,
mouse and all, and tried Enlightenment on my own account, FVWM2 on my root
account, and all seemed cool. Sunday night I got back to the computer,
without having used it in the interim (left it running, of course), and
now startx, xinit, XF86Setup, and going to XF86Setup via /stand/sysinstall
[both using existing /etc/XF86Config and not] all cause my machine to
crash. I get a gray monitor, and then can do nothing.
control-alt-backspace does nothing, and I end up having to do
control-alt-delete to restart.

My question: does anyone know why X worked initially and then went screwy?
This happened with no further input from me after it was working. If I had
been mucking about at all I would figure I had done something, but I had
not been.

Thanks.

Chris Booth