Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:39:50 -0600
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   portshaker, listing updates and skipping broken/removed ports

Dear folks,

I have a question regarding portshaker.  I have successfully used
Warren Block's script to make updates.

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/portupgrade.html

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/portsnap fetch update && \
/usr/local/sbin/portmaster -L --index-only | egrep '(ew|ort)
version|total install'

How can I do the same with portshaker command?

I now have to use portshaker to update freebsd-texlive ports.  I try
to fetch updates to texlive-* ports, but none show up.  They show up
after I run portshaker command.  The freebsd-texlive ports

http://code.google.com/p/freebsd-texlive/

 by Romain Tartiere are working beautifully, but updating them is
another story.  I did not know that one has to use portshaker to get
the updates, since they are not officially in freebsd ports.  Running
portshaker now I see the updates and can update them, but some
packages have been removed upstream and portmaster -a command fails
and I have to manually remove the culprit packages

Otherwise above script only updates regular freebsd official ports and
not the new ones with texlive.  Also, if there are broken or removed
ports in ports tree, I get updating error.
* package has been removed and blah blah blah
aborted...

I have to then run
# portmaster -a -x name-of-one-broken-package -x
name-of-removed-package -x etc...

Is there a way to avoid having to type the broken or removed packages
and update with one command?  Maybe a conditional command, update only
available ports and skip the broken ones?

Thanks for advice/suggestions/comments.  Many of the folks on this
list are very knowledgeable and have been a great help throughout and
I am glad to be using FreeBSD and learning more about this great
operating system that I never knew before.

Regards,

Antonio