Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:51:57 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        kde@mail.kde.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cannot select arts

cc: freebsd-questions:

i have 2 systems, both FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p5, both KDE 3.5.6.  one system was
built from ports (which for you non bsd'rs, is like building from sources),
and one system i configured using pre-built packages from the FreeBSD
packages-6-stable directory.

the system i built myself from ports, all multimedia apps are working properly
with arts.  anything that would need to select arts as the output plugin, can
(ie, amarok, mplayer).

my other system which i built from the packages, has the same arts pieces
installed as my properly working station, but none of the multimedia apps
regocnoze this, and arts is not a selection in the drop downs.  when i open a
terminal on both stations and type 'arts[tab]', the exact same set of
executable binaries shows up in the choice of autocompletions.  this system,
will play sounds (ie, logon, errors), but apps that specifically want arts
wont work at first.  if i get into all the places i can, and select OSS sound
system, amarok will work for one session, but when i restart everything, back
to square one.

is there somewhere in kde that i can specify that i want arts to be an
available option to multimedia apps?

thanks,
--
Jonathan Horne